Young Rider Program
What is the USEA Young Riders Program?
The Young Rider program is offered through the USEA for riders twenty-one years of age and younger at all levels of riding. The purpose of the program is to encourage our younger members to become involved in the sport of Eventing and continue this involvement into their adult lives. Our organization seeks to promote a love of the sport, as well as an appreciation and understanding of the horse while fostering the wonderful relationship that can develop between horse and rider. Further, involvement in this program helps to instill important moral values, such as responsibility and work ethic, as young riders grow into mature adults.
The Young Rider program is essentially divided into two groups; the Young Rider Advancement Program (YRAP) and the North American Young Rider Championships (NAYRC). Each group receives the same benefits of membership including reduced clinic rates at Young Rider sponsored activities, eligibility for Young Rider awards, Virtual Teams competition, Young Rider vs Adult Rider Team Competition, social activities and the opportunity to represent Area IV at team competitions.
Young Rider Advancement Program
The Young Rider Advancement Program (YRAP) is designed to present lower level young riders with a structured developmental process that will provide the education and skills they need to progress through the levels, and eventually into the ranks of the NAYRC if they are interested in pursuing that competitive goal.
The YRAP is intended to provide the average young rider with the vital steps of a developmental process from the earliest levels of competition. This program focuses on those riders from the starter novice through preliminary levels, prior to their ascension into the ranks of the NAYRC developmental program. The YRAP encompass a variety of clinics, camps, and educational activities which provide the educational development necessary for a young rider's progression into the NAYRC program, eventual recognition by the National Governing Body developmental programs, and their ultimate ascension into international ranks if they are so inclined. While many young riders never endeavor to progress this far in their riding careers, the steps will nevertheless be in place for them to accomplish whatever competitive goals they may have.
North American Junior Young Rider Championships
The Adequan/FEI North American Junior & Young Rider Championships (NAJYRC) competition is held annually in the summer. The NAJYRC is the pinnacle of a young rider's achievement. Teams from all areas of the U.S. as well as from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean are invited to compete in this international championship event. Special invitations have also included countries from South America. The NAJYRC is also recognized as the official Junior Olympics for Equestrian by the USOC. The championship models the format of the Olympic Games. In the Eventing competition, each area will send a team and/individuals to represent their area. From very early on, many young riders see this as a potential goal for themselves as they progress through the levels of competition.
Interesting in representing Area IV at the North American Junior Young Rider Championships? Learn more!
Area IV Young Rider Member Benefits
- Educational clinics and camps with USEA Certified Riding Instructors and Advanced level competitors
- Multiple clinic opportunities with CCI**** competitor and Area IV YR Coach, Allison Springer
- Provide team atmosphere and support system for all levels of eventing
- Year End Awards for Young Rider members
- Virtual Teams Competition
- Adult Rider & Young Rider Team Challenge
- Represent USEA Area IV at MidSouth Team Challenge
- Represent USEA Area IV at North American Junior & Young Rider Championships
- Social events hosted at USEA Area IV competitions
How to Join the Area IV Young Riders Program
- Join USEA at www.useventing.com
- Log into the USEA Online Services.
- Choose Young Rider membership from the USEA Online Services
- Facebook: USEA Area IV Young Riders
- Instagram, SnapChat and Twitter: @USEAAreaIVYR
Area IV Young Rider Coordinators
- Chicagoland- Tisha Teeluck 773-447-6143
- Minnesota- Lianne Burgess 612-889-5033
- Southern Area IV- Cynthia Wiseman 417-880-4567
- Email- email@example.com
Area IV Fundraising Coordinator
- Jaime Alexander
Area IV Social Media
- Genevieve Faith